
I have been writing. Hard things. Things that ache up through the fingers of my left hand, gripping the pen for all its worth....There are things I am scared to touch, even just on the page. Memories I don't want spilled because I wonder if the past will bleed out of me once the skin has been cut and, more importantly, if the scars will scab back over and become invisible again beneath the careful layers I arrange about my tender heart.
But this writing feels alive to me...a force of nature, something I'm not fully in control of but feel lighter, by degrees, with each line I get out. On Tuesday, I went to the magic cafe and turned a flash of memory I had into a full, long poem I called "Rapunzel" on impulse. When the regular group assembled to read, as we do each month, I hesitated before opening my notebook. There is this part of me who has defenses locked "on" and doesn't want to reveal a single vulnerable point. This has become a tough shell for me because of the life I've had and the people I have known. But, I am also shot through with these sparks of light and all I want to do is express...is to say: here, THIS is what it was like for me--THIS is what happened.
When my writing friends looked at me expectantly, I made some apologies and then plunged into the beginning of it:
It goes on & on from there, cutting fairy-tales with some dark-thicketed memories and though the poem itself is fairly shadowy and dense, I felt luminous and plain after I read it. When I looked up at the group, though, there was a heavy silence for a moment and my heart pounded. There you go, I thought to myself, getting too naked...saying too much...exposing yourself and your inky secrets. But then beautiful L. breathed and said, "That was one loud and powerful shout" and the others started speaking back to me what lines hit them right between the eyes and as they talked, I nodded and exhaled again, not even realizing I'd been holding my breath. C. nodded and said, "Thank you. I mean that," and I felt her really, intently looking at me and instead of wanting to retreat and hide out behind self-depreciating humor or embarrassment, I held her stare and said, "You're welcome."
This current vein of work isn't polished and it certainly isn't pretty. But, it is moving through me all the same. I have my second novel already 200 pages deep and have a full notebook of character sketches for a third. The first is "done" and making its rounds but these poems cut with essay fragments are also blistering through my pages. I am in a time of total transformation and mystery in my life...both on and off the page.
5 comments:
Wow - the power of your poem and your reflections on this time of transformation was so strong it reached across the many miles and grabbed my heart so strongly I couldn't breath for a moment.
Wow. I'm a little awestruck. Thanks for linking to this on Facebook because I need to follow you - you are brave and I need to find my courage.
oh honey, the power in your words always leave me speechless so i will just say love to you, xo
Bringing a deeply written piece to a trusted group is powerful and affirming, and is a gift for everyone present. I've been frightened almost to silence a few times and have found, each time, that it was some of my best work. You were brave three times - once in the writing, again in the reading, and here. Thank you.
Won't you share it all? I have a feeling it would move us as much.
Funny, because I just read a post by another friend, wondering about the power of sharing our personal truth through writing. So true. It sets others free.
love.
:)
Frida: that you think of me as brave is the most crazy-compliment ever, given your background & life. Wow...I'm happy to have you reading along!
daisies: love, love, love to you as well!
Deirdre: it helps to have a supportive group...I wouldn't be able to otherwise.
Amber: Maybe I will...let me just grow it a little bit more. Love to you...
Post a Comment